How about this possibility?
Some (the English majors and others who love correctness in speech) are
mentally inclined to use correct spelling, correct syntax, and current
brand names (like IBM i on POWER7), and enjoy learning new words and
using them. Others, not so much!

My brain automatically alerts me with a red flag if I hear or read old
brand names like AS/400.
I run IBM i V7R1 on POWER7.
Now if the context is referring to legacy hardware, I believe one should
use the appropriate brand name. Older hardware really could be AS/400,
Sys/38, iSeries, etc.

In my 28 years I always begin using new terms and brand names as soon as
announced.
I love speaking accurately.
<flame!> Others are not so interested as I am in speaking this way, and
are interested in other things. Some will continue to use the AS/400
name for many years, even forever, I imagine. But not me!