I acquired an 820 with no other information and I had my best success with it by going the LAN console route. I didn't have a twinax console or HMC lying around. LAN console is not shareable with normal LAN communications so you'll need a second card once you gain access to the system. Google around, you have to change your console to LAN console using the front panel and additionally you have to use front panel to reset your SST QSYSOPR password if you don't know it.

As soon as you get in, make a whole bunch of new and unused console devices in SST (i.e. QCONSOLE1, QCONSOLE2, etc) because if you reinstall windows on your console or have an HDD crash or something else, regaining console access is difficult. You can't change devices under DST under default settings.

Don't reinstall, you don't need to (for sure).

Thanks,
Mark