Thanks Sue.. IBM finally found someone ( In Poland ) that had an idea as to
what was going on. It appears backupios needs LOTS and LOTS of space in
/home/padmin and in /tmp. He me increase the allocated space for each by
10GB. While the backupios ran longer it still failed. So I increased both
locations by another 10GB each. That allowed the backupios cmd to run
without an error.

My goal in all this was to get a backup(s) that I could remotely
rebuild/recover my VIOS if the scheduled updates to VIOS went bad and I
wanted it to go to tape. I had Save 21's of all my IBM i partitions so I
was hoping if need be I could
Restore from the backupios tape,
Restore from viosbr ( if needed )
Rebuild my logical volumes ( if need be )
Restore my IBM i partitions from their Save 21's ( if needed ).

Long story short.. updates went on fine