From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: 24 October 2012 15:16
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Unable to FTP an SQL table containing LOBs between two System I
servers.

But the scenario describes a homogeneous request; i.e. only IBM i systems
involved. There reasonably should be little reason the client and server
could not handle BLOB data just as it would be able to handle other data
types; e.g. BINARY, DATE, PACKED, etc. Why would there be any difference,
between the way the described scenario should handle transport of the data
for the two examples shown here, each a TABLE with the same row of data?:

create table qtemp/ABLOB (c char, b blob (200)) ;
create table qtemp/ABINARY (c char, b binary(200)) ;
insert into qtemp/ABLOB values
('1', cast('text as *binary* data' as binary(200)) ) ;
insert into qtemp/ABINARY values
('1', cast('text as *binary* data' as binary(200)) ) ;

Though I asked the question, I have no expectation nor hope that the FTP
would handle either "properly", just as I have no expectation that the FTP
would know what to do if there were NULL values. That is because the FTP is
*not* a generic database data transport mechanism. I am merely alluding to
the potential for consistency; that, as a binary stream, the data could be
handled consistently for both sending and receiving, of both examples. I
would even expect that the CPYF utility using FMTOPT(*CVTSRC) or
FMTOPT(*NOCHK) could enable copying the data as well, consistently for each
TABLE above. However the BLOB data appears as the string '*POINTER' instead
of the inserted data; I understand the design and the effect as implemented,
though again [like with the FTP], the effect could be handled consistently
for the Copy File data requests of the two files.

--
Regards, Chuck