I would say the performance depends on how many users will use it simultaneously, and how often the SQL code is used.

For a lone user who sits and uses JDBC all day long, I'd say the two approaches will have nearly identical performance.

For many simultaneous users, ARDGATE will win hands down because it runs in a Java application server, so one copy of the JVM is all you need, that drastically reduces the needed resources.

For a program that's not run so frequently, or is run by a single user, JDBCR4 will win because you don't have to set up and run an application server that sits in the background and gets used only infrequently.

Luis.... both solutions are free. Give them a try and see what you think. Once you have, let me know if you agree with my analysis.

-SK