You're welcome. After you remove the "WAVE, " from the below (first) SELECT
-- remember that ubiquitous bug I referred to earlier -- what happens here
is:

Create a file with SHIPPER, CONSIGNEE, PO, a count of "duplicates" called
COUNTER, and the lowest Relative Record Number of the set of matches (that
column will be named RRNBR).

The file will only contain records where there is more than one match per
SHIPPER, CONSIGNEE, and PO. You won't need COUNTER in the below; I gather
it for reference only.

The UPDATE and the DELETE use that information to determine what records
will be updated/deleted. The WHERE clause in each case is similar to the
way one might write an inner join operation using the Pre-ANSI (or non-ANSI)
syntax.

If you think of the WHERE clause as creating an INTERNAL JOIN between the
temp file and the problem file (and selecting based upon the relationship to
lowest RRN), the rest is fairly simple to understand.

Note: The only "special" function that RRN(table) serves here, is that it
provides a guaranteed unique value. It could have been
MIN(any_other_column) instead of MIN(RRN(table)) if the combination of that
column and SHIPPER/CONSIGNEE/PO provides a unique value. Again, I opted for
the guaranteed-unique value without knowing your data. You may have an
affinity for another column, based upon your data and your needs, and may
thus want to tweak accordingly.

Dennis Lovelady
"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're in the right."
-- Ricky Gervais

I have so much to learn about SQL. Thanks again.

Jack