On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Alan Shore <ashore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Booth
Never used, but I am always looking to try new things
Do you have any examples?
Can this be done within CL?

Interesting. REXX is a great option, and incredibly underused in my
opinion. (I am as guilty of this as anyone, but that's in part
because I use iSeries Python for complex scripting.)

REXX isn't something you use "within" CL per se. You can invoke a
REXX procedure from CL using the STRREXPRC command. But the main way
to use REXX is to write your whole script in REXX. That is, use REXX
*instead of* CL. But REXX has the very nice feature that it
transparently treats stuff in quotes as CL (where appropriate), so
it's almost like a superset of CL. If you have ever used a Web
templating language, REXX can have the feel of a CL templating
language. But it's also so much more.

I'm sorry to say I don't know REXX well enough to give you an example
for your particular problem, but I have to imagine it's rather
elementary.

John