Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 9/20/2012 1:21 PM, Don wrote:
Be nice if there were cert test prep guides...like there are for most every
other industry standard cert exam....

DR2

-----Original Message-----
From:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:21 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Required Certifications

If I understand it correctly COMMON now manages the RPG exams, so they
are alive and well.

The IBM Administration test was just updated to V7

A new IBM Administrator test was created that is for graduates or very
recent graduates to show they learned what was needed in school to step
into a shop and be productive. Many of the tech schools in the upper
Midwest are using it already.

I don't think there is enough distinction between and operator and a
junior administrator to actually have a operations test anymore. If
there is a need for an Operations test, COMMON now has the
infrastructure and SME talent pool to create it.

The new Virtualization Technical Support for IBM i (000-121) test is
advanced enough that if you pass it, you know your stuff on IBM i (same
for AIX for those that take that version)

None of those are aimed at business partners, although truthfully you
should strongly consider if you want to let a partner mess with your box
that did not have those certs...

On 9/20/2012 11:59 AM, William A. Hansen wrote:
> Jim,
>
> It's interesting that IBM updated the admin test, but dumped RPG. What's
happening with operations? It looked like they were getting out of the
certification business entirely, except for business partners.