For completeness:

The GENTRAN GIFSGATE command was changed to include two new parameter to specify the CCSID of the incoming and outgoing data. The default on the outgoing parm was incorrect--GENTRAN Support says to change it to *STAC, for "Standard Ascii". (Version 6 has been out for ages and I'm surprised we are the first to have this problem, but maybe our combination is unique.)

The VAN connection failure turned out to be limited to a few customers who use SSL. The GENTRAN conversion of their communication profile dropped the SSL information.

Sam