Joel,

Answering for my own installation as well as most of my customers:
1) about 50/50. Those that have test/dev in one LPAR and production in another are getting ready to split it up into Development/ Production Testing/ Full production. Most are using hosted partitions for the Production(Integration test) to avoid hardware implications.

2) Almost always, split by LPAR. Many are considering a hosted LPAR for each developer as well.

3) Most of my customers do it weekly, usually on Thursday, the balance on Saturday.

4) Depends on change management, but usually not. It takes two promotions in a DEV/TEST/PROD environment to move to production except for the emergency moves, which can be pushed directly to production from DEV. You want to maintain that ability for the 00:dark30 fixes.....

5) I have seen the test partition catch errors that a dev partition will not because the data is more relevant to the applications.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects