Minimum Drives for a Raid5 set is '3', but performance sucks and is much
better with 4 or more in the set.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Evan Harris <auctionitis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I might be missing something but you need 4 disks minimum to make up a
RAID set - and in this situation its getting the first 4 that's an
issue.

By my calculation you have about 260 Gb free and you need to remove at
least 280gb free to remove 4 70's

If you're prepared to do an unload/reload then shutting down to a
restricted state and ending RAID before you remove the disks might be
something of a middle ground in terms of getting the job done.
I consider ending raid in this scenario less of a risk than doing an
unload reload but you might have a different view

- STRASPBAL to drain the first four disks your gonna pull
- Shut down to a restricted state
- End RAID
- Logically remove the first 4 disks (might need to restart to DST -
although it seems you can do this hot on 7,.1 going by Dr F's
comments)

With the additional 70Gb from ending raid and the temp storage going
down by being in a restricted state you might have enough head room to
pull 4 X 70's and replace with 4 X 280's

Once you've done the first 4 you can start RAID if you want to
minimize your exposure OR you could logically remove the remaining
drives and then add the rest of the 280;s

After that start RAID - across all 18 disks if you want, then do a
STRASPBAL to balance the system up.