Birgitta

I don't see this is in the V5R4 version I'm looking at now. Maybe more recent, which is good to hear.

Vern

On 8/23/2012 8:13 AM, Birgitta Hauser wrote:
Vern,
But Generate SQL ignores this short name - that's not cool, as Rob pointed
out. Seems a bug to me.

Generate SQL ignores the short name only by default!
If you click on Options you'll see the option "System names for objects".
Select this options, generate your SQL script and voilà the short names are
included.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Vernon Hamberg
Gesendet: Thursday, 23.8 2012 15:00
An: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Betreff: Re: Field names in SQL-generated files

Bill

I believe it's in the "Run an SQL script" option. When you have selected a
system under Databases in the environment list on the left, open it to see
the schemas (libraries). Open a library to see all the SQL objects,
including tables. Right-click Tables and see the New... option - this opens
a CREATE TABLE wizard.

And I see that there is an option there to assign a system (short) name,
instead of the generated one. I was looking at V5R4 of Navigator for this
function. Not sure when it came in - maybe forever. But Generate SQL ignores
this short name - that's not cool, as Rob pointed out. Seems a bug to me.

Also interesting - since I've never looked at this before - the record
format name is the generated name - I created a table named THISISALONGNAME,
short name LONGNAME. Format was named THISI00001, which was the system name
when the table was created, then I have to assume a RENAME TABLE was run -
didn't do a monitor, which would tell us everything done.

There are similar wizards for all the SQL objects types.

For SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE, there's an SQL Assist in the Run an SQL
script task. Once you've selected a system under databases, there's a link
to this on the Databases tasks on the lower-right. SQL Assist is under the
Edit menu option. There's also a drop-down of some templates that get copied
into the statement space.

HTH
Vern