The right way to do this in SQL is with the EXISTS clause....

select 1 into :hasRecords
from sysibm/sysdummy1
where exists (select * from mytable where mykey = :somekey)

It's a little tricky as if no records exists, you get no records
returned, and so need to check SQLSTATE or SQLCODE... (google for
complete examples) A short cut is to make sure hasRecords is
initalized to 0, as the system won't change it if there are no
records.

However, assuming a recent version of the OS, i think you'll find
COUNT(*) to not be too bad assuming you have an index over the column
in question. In particular, an EVI index over MYKEY gives the SQE
easy access to the number of records with that key.

Use of COUNT(*) with an EVI index is preferred if you actually need to
use the count.

HTH,
Charles