On 07 Aug 2012 10:31, John McKee wrote:
<<SNIP>>

Question: Do the partially damaged objects need to be deleted?
I am wondering if the OS fixes them if it can.

IIRC the "partial damage" condition for a *DEVD may be resolved by merely a vary-off and vary-on [cycle]; i.e. that the "logical damage" for which the device is in error is manifest using a "partial damage" message [81## or 82## range], and any reset is left to user action. I do recall specifically, that is how a tape device is both treated and recovered [for some errors; e.g. LIC terminated SAVxxx]. But that type of device [tape] is more conspicuously like a file and data [e.g. save file being somewhat analogous to a tape device] than how perhaps a display\workstation device might be perceived; I am much more familiar in how "damage" conditions are set and diagnosed for the database...

FWiW: For both full and partial damage on a database file or member or data, a damaged object "must" always be deleted [optionally having made an attempt to copy the data not available on media and\or in logs\journal-receivers]. While a clear\reset of the data may resolve partial damage to a dataspace, the data, I always consider the member and data to be effectively the same, and would always recommend to remove\delete the member.

Regards, Chuck