Ok the manager wants it like this :

Pgm reads a file containing the names of other files and the field
name corresponding to the client number.

Pgm must copy from the file in *CURLIB to the file of the same name in
LIBx ( parameter), replacing value of "field name corresponding to the
client number" with client number(parameter).

Manager wants to avoid temporary intermediate file. A DS is not
possible as the file name is only known at run time.

I expect it is technically possible to construct the sql needed to do this :
1. Get name of file to copy
2. Get field names of file to copy.
3. Build SQL insert :

Insert into "filename"
select "clientnumber", field1, field2, etc,etc from LIBx/filename

Don't know if it's really worth the hassle to avoid the intermediate
file, but it looks like it might be fun for me!
How would I get the the list of file fields? (I only know dspffd)