We all remember different reasons. I do not remember there ever being a problem with changing a key value (like a last name change if the key was on last name). What required a unload-recreate-reload process was if you wanted to change the key from last name to first name. If you had an LF you could just delete and recreate. If you had a keyed PF you had to save the data, delete the PF, create the PF, copy the data back. Now I think you can just to a CHGPF.

The reason I remember was that doing a CPYF of an unkeyed PF was much, much faster than doing a CPYF of a keyed PF. I have no idea of that is still true or not but we still follow that rule and never key a PF

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Campin
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:48 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Indexed PF vs. LF performance

I always thought the source of the practice was index corruption. If an index got corrupted on a LF, you could just delete and recreate but if you got a corrupted index in a PF, you had to delete the PF and all the logicals and rebuild.

It was something I remember happening on the System 38 and some in the
AS/400 days but has not been a problem for many, many years.