Based on the IP addresses, it looks like this is something which is
used just internally, not for external clients coming in over the
internet.

That's not to say that round-robin DNS can't still be used, but only
as long as you are using accessing via a host name, and probably only
if you are using actual DNS server lookups (i.e. using a hosts table
probably won't work). Is that the case?

The client being well-coded means that if the client receives multiple
IP addresses back on a DNS lookup of the server's host name, it needs
to retain all of them. If it can't establish a connection using the
first IP address, it needs to automatically try again using the second
IP address, and then using the third IP address, and so on, until it
either can establish the connection or runs through the entire list.

If the server on a particular machine isn't running, so nothing is
listening on that port, the OS should automatically send an a TCP RST
and the client should immediately move on to the next IP address. You
shouldn't need to have that interface down if that the point of your
description below. And in fact it will probably take longer for the
client to failover to the next IP address if the interface is down
because the OS probably won't respond at all to the connection request
and the client will have to time out before moving on.