With this suggestion, I would have to name each field. If a new column was added to the file, the SQL would break.

I was hoping to avoid these time-bombs down the road if a new col was added.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Mildenberger
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 3:54 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: insert records, but intialize most fields to blanks & zeros

One way, there might be an better way though.

insert into orderDTL (rrn, field1, field2, ....) <----- List all
the fields here
select rrn(a) as rrn, 0, ' ', .... <----THESE ARE THE INITIAL
VALUES
from orderDTL a join orderHDR b on a.ORDER# = b.ORDER#

You may be able to use DEFAULT instead of all the 0 and '' values but
not sure.

Scott