What I showed was a means to effect replacement of a code[d-value] by the corresponding\paired expanded value [e.g. descriptive text], just as described in both Subject line and the opening post of the thread. No "pivot" for reporting, just some simple data\value replacements; e.g. 'TX' becomes 'Texas'.

Somehow the OP pursued a different [if even tangential] course; one which indeed, was more aligned with UNION of data. However my original scenario is, as best I can infer, exactly what was asked of the OP. I have no idea how things went awry.

Consider the following scenario, expanding the scenario from my response to that given in\by the OP; in conjunction with a system-supplied TABLE QCUSTCDT in QIWS and its data, thus providing a working example:

<code>

create table qtemp/order_status
( order_status_code dec(1)
, order_status char(8)
)
; -- Table ORDER_STATUS created in QTEMP.
insert into qtemp/order_status values
(1, 'Active')
, (2, 'Closed')
, (3, 'Review')
; -- 3 rows inserted in ORDER00001 in QTEMP.
create table qtemp/state
( state_code char(2)
, state_name char(22)
)
; -- Table STATE created in QTEMP.
insert into qtemp/state values
('TX', 'Texas'), ('NV', 'Nevada'), ('GA', 'Georgia')
, ('VT', 'Vermont'), ('NY', 'New York'), ('CA', 'California')
, ('MN', 'Minnesota'), ('WY', 'Wyoming'), ('CO', 'Colorado')
; -- 9 rows inserted in STATE in QTEMP.
create view qtemp/cust as
(select
co.LSTNAM
, co.CITY
, ( select sn.state_name from state sn
where sn.state_code = co.state )
as cust_state_name
, ( select os.order_status from order_status os
where os.order_status_code = co.CHGCOD )
as cust_order_status
from qiws/qcustcdt co
)
; -- View CUST created in QTEMP.
select lstnam, city, state, chgcod as status
from qiws/qcustcdt
order by lstnam
; -- report from above SELECT follows; the "STATE" values
-- are USPS encoding\abbreviations, and the "CHGCOD"
-- values 1, 2, and 3 are digits instead of text\words:
....+....1....+....2....+....3.
LSTNAM CITY STATE STATUS
Abraham Isle MN 3
Alison Isle MN 3
Doe Sutter CA 2
Henning Dallas TX 3
Johnson Helen GA 2
Jones Clay NY 1
Lee Hector NY 2
Stevens Denver CO 1
Thomas Casper WY 2
Tyron Hector NY 1
Vine Broton VT 1
Williams Dallas TX 1
******** End of data ********
;
select * from qtemp/cust
order by lstnam
; -- report from above SELECT follows:
....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....
LSTNAM CITY CUST_STATE_NAME CUST_ORDER_STATUS
Abraham Isle Minnesota Review
Alison Isle Minnesota Review
Doe Sutter California Closed
Henning Dallas Texas Review