OK, still not understanding, and still getting the SQL0180.

My H spec has datfmt(*ISO) [it always did] and I inserted the following SQL
Option statement at the beginning of my code (before any other SQL
statements)...

exec sql
Set Option
Naming = *Sys,
Commit = *None,
UsrPrf = *User,
DynUsrPrf = *User,
Datfmt = *iso,
DatSep = *dash,
CloSqlCsr = *EndMod;

Here's the PRTSQLINF results (so I know the Set Option worked)...

Object name...............NHP09/NHBLDCLS
Object type...............*PGM
CRTSQLRPGI
OBJ(QTEMP/NHBLDCLS)
SRCFILE(NHP09/QRPGLESRC)
SRCMBR(NHBLDCLS)
COMMIT(*NONE)
OPTION(*SYS *NOEXTIND *PERIOD)
TGTRLS(V7R1M0)
ALWCPYDTA(*OPTIMIZE)
CLOSQLCSR(*ENDMOD)
RDB(*LOCAL)
DATFMT(*ISO)
DATSEP('-')
TIMFMT(*HMS)
TIMSEP(':')
DFTRDBCOL(*NONE)
DYNDFTCOL(*NO)
SQLPKG(NHP09/NHBLDCLS)
MONITOR(*USER)
SQLCURRULE(*DB2)
ALWBLK(*ALLREAD)
DLYPRP(*NO)
DYNUSRPRF(*USER)
USRPRF(*USER)
SRTSEQ(*HEX)
LANGID(ENU)
RDBCNNMTH(*DUW)
TEXT('Build Class for flds in file (added date handling)')
SQLPATH(*LIBL)
DECRESULT(31 31 0)
DECFLTRND(*HALFEVEN)
CONACC(*DFT)