It would help if you were a bit more specific about what name you are
referring to. I get the impression you mean the name that appears on
the signon display which is the System Name specified via CHGNETA.

Assuming that's the case, if it was me what I would (probably) do is
proceed as planned, giving the new machine a temporary IP address
while testing. Naming may not be an issue at that point depending on
what you are testing. if you want to give it a different name during
testing (and its probably a good idea) then:
- do a CHGNETA to set the new system name
- delete the existing directory entries using WRKDIRE
- CFGTCP and change the host name
- WRKRDBDIRE and delete and recreate the *LOCAL directory entry; local
directory name should be the same as the unqualified hostname

At cutover time I would yank the cable on the current machine and do
an unload/reload from the old machine to the new; this will take
across IP address, system names, directory entries etc. You may need
to modify your ethernet lines to align them with the resource names on
the new box.

After the machine was signed off as configured I would scratch the old
box and build it with a new name as you have described. If you use a
save from the new box then the biggest hurdle you will face will be
rebuilding your SNADS directories - presuming you need snads
connectivity. I find it handy at the system level for SAVRSTOBJ type
operations but beyond that it's use is limited IMO.

If you only have one machine now (and I get the impression you do)
then if you restore from the new machine back to the old you will
(once again) need to:
- do a CHGNETA to set the system name
- delete the existing directory entries using WRKDIRE
- CFGTCP and change the host name
- WRKRDBDIRE and delete and recreate the *LOCAL directory entry; local
directory name should be the same as the unqualified hostname

Hoep this helps

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Graap, Kenneth