On 04 Jun 2012 00:12, Gad Miron wrote:

need some help with "Gibberish" an Data files.

We extensively use a home grown Java utility to upload customer files
to the iSeries machine.
File formats are text fixed, text delimited, xls, xlsx .
File encoding may be ANSI, UTF8, UTF16.
The data are written to simple DB files on the iSeries.

When displaying these data on a green screen the unprintable
characters are mostly displayed as RI rectangles and sometimes even
cause an undesirable new line to appear on screen .

Does anybody know a technique to cleanse these "white noise"
characters using RPG (Xlate ?) or SQL?

If the characters are truly "white noise", then why not just avoid writing them in the first place, instead of trying to obfuscate them after-the-fact; i.e. why undo something just done? What exactly are the "simple DB files" that represent the myriad of described file formats; i.e. how are they created? Those formats, other than "text fixed" seem likely to be typical "stream" data, record or binary; what reason is there to store the data in "DB files" instead of "Stream files"?

Regards, Chuck