From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lindstrom, Scott R.
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 11:52 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Consolidate two LAN Ops console PCs down to one

I currently have two V5R4 9407-515's that were each setup with their own WIN
XP LAN PC consoles a few years ago. I need to refresh those PCs now (WIN
7). Is there any reason I can't have one PC function as the console for
both systems? (I have an LPARed V5R2 system in which I have one PC running
the consoles for both partitions, so it seems this ought to work).

If doable, does this plan seem right:

- take the WINXP PC console for the second (development) system off the
network
- put the new WIN7 PC on the network and assign it the same static IP
address as the PC just removed.
- have Client Access 'discover' the development system and start the Console
connection.

Assuming this all works OK I would then take the production PC console off
the network and then have the new PC discover the production system.
(The IP address for the former Production PC console would then go unused).

Does the AS/400 care at all that I swap PC consoles as long as I keep the
same static IP address? Does it track MAC addresses or something odd like
that that might cause me problems?

TIA,
Scott Lindstrom