On 04 May 2012 13:12, John Rusling wrote:
I gotta move on to something else, I don't really know what happened
but - (afawk its only happened this one time) -

Thanks for all the help, I gained more knowledge thru your efforts.

Might be worthwhile to add some more values to the DMPLST and\or add a DFTPGM to the messages in the MCH0800 range; i.e. presume that if once, then likely again.

A DFTPGM could just DSPJOBLOG OUTPUT(*PRINT), for lack of *JOBLOG availability on the DMPLST parm. Perhaps preceding that with a call level override to QPJOBLOG to ensure placement of the spooled\held output somewhere the user will\can not delete it.

In a DFTPGM for such situations I usually would send an inquiry [first ensuring default inquiry message reply was not in effect] sent to a specific message queue with text explaining that an unexpected situation arose and that debug\investigation was required, then loop on a receive message awaiting a /secret/ reply followed by a short delay. The user not knowing what is the proper reply can not just press Enter to bypass because the value *N as return reply meets with the same inquiry. The coder of the Default Program, knowing the answer, can place the job in service\debug and after if\when desired provide the awaited /secret/ response to allow the processing to continue.

Regards, Chuck