All,

I've done a little experimenting recently with virtual tape.  I
successfully did a DUPTAP from a physical tape drive to virtual and
vice versa.

The object size is 71gb on the virtual tape (VRT001) afterward.  I did
INZTAP on it.  Still 71gb.  So I did INZTAP clearing it.  Still 71gb.

So evidently, when it reaches a size, it stays that size.  Is there a
way to reduce it?  Disk space isn't a problem, but nightly backup
takes an extra 20 minutes and that's the only difference I know of.

I did a CHGATR ATR(*ALWSAV) VALUE(*NO) on it for now.

Thanks.

(BTW: I have 2 physical LTO2 tape drives. A Phys to Phys DUPTAP took
37 mins, Phys to Virt took 38 mins, Virt to Phys took 28 mins. All
with no system degradation.)

--
Jeff Crosby
VP Information Systems

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily the opinion of
my company.  Unless I say so.