That's an interesting find, Evan.

My understanding is that with multi-core processors, threads will gain an affinity for 1 core anyway, where their requests will be dispatched to the same core, perhaps throughout the life of the thread. But this 7.1 feature is a nice addition to IBM i workload management capabilities. This adds to the list of similarities between subsystems and partitions.

----- Original Message -----
From: Evan Harris <auctionitis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Questions about subsystems and performance (both in general and specific to Tomcat)

Actually at 7.1 you can now limit processor use at the subsystems
using a Workload Group. The capability is limited to how many cores a
job/subsystem can utilise. See this Developer Works article for more
information:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/IBM%20i%20workload%20groups