Ignoring any previous references to multiple programs... The originally described program would just as well use an update CURSOR, FETCH the row, then optionally UPDATE WHERE CURRENT OF according to the value of the COUNTER column [not being maximum] and informing of the impending maximum if appropriate, or informing of the already-maximum. The row would be retrieved just once and optionally updated, thus no need for a re-retrieval of the row; albeit the work would not have been deferred to a single non-cursor UPDATE, but that is what currently is deemed insufficient.

However there was actually reference to other programs and an apparent implication they should similarly effect the desired notification of the maximum value. Thus triggers [or constraints] are often a better choice.

As to making a TRIGGER do the work to communicate the value, non-exception messages would be better; an exception from the trigger only for the maximum already met. In a prior message I referred to /tricks/ that could be performed by a trigger to communicate the information back to the application, and messaging is one of them. That is somewhat trickery because the application must actively obtain the information; knowing to look for and remove the messaging when updating that file with the trigger for which now there is a contract between all apps and that trigger. That does not make for a good design because the trigger would best act according to the data and be done. The use of Global Variables in the SQL statements presumably could make the use of an effective return value seamless; I have not used them, and I doubt they are very worthwhile for a client interface.

Anyhow, a TRIGGER would be better to implement the notification as a "business rule" rather than the application ever having to know the value of the COUNTER column [in order to make that decision at the application level]. That is, a trigger that would not be used to communicate the value of the COUNTER back to the application.

Regards, Chuck