Here's my idea:

donortbl (name char(30), bloodtype char(2), tissue smallint, cross
smallint);
reciptbl (name char(30), bloodtype char(2), tissue smallint, cross
smallint);

/*The tissue and cross fields would have a series of bits turned on for
each attribute desired*/

With level_1_match
(select d.name donor, r.name recip
from donrotbl d join reciptbl r using(bloodtype) ),
level_2_match
(select donor, recip
from level_1_match l1 join donortbl d on d.name = donor join reciptbl on
r.name = recip
where BITAND(d.tissue, r.tissue) = 65535 ),
level_3_match
(select donor, recip
from level_2_match l2 join donortbl d on d.name = donor join reciptbl on
r.name = recip
where BITAND(d.cross, r.cross) = 65535 )

select * from level_3_match;

I think I have seen this approach done before for similar type problems,
but I have never had a cause to use it and I'm not sure if I got it
right.

Also and variable could be used to mask the result of the BITAND
operation with a BITOR operation so that you could selectively turn on
and off certain criteria:

level_3_match
(select donor, recip
from level_2_match l2 join donortbl d on d.name = donor join reciptbl on
r.name = recip
where BITOR(BITAND(d.cross, r.cross),:criteriaselection) = 65535 )

-Tom Stieger
IT Manager
California Fine Wire

PS. thanks for a great brain challenge in the morning!