Willie J. Moore wrote:
Why not create a physical file layout (sales) like what is defined in
the program. You could then just compile programs using the sales file.
You could just then do a override to the sales file you want to use in
the CL.

You don't say what language(s) are involved, but if you're past around the low V5s, maybe even the high V4s, ILE RPG has an F-spec keyword that does what an OVRDBF does, only a lot cleaner. And ILE C has always been able to decouple the files used at compile time from those used at run time.

With that in mind, you only need files of the name needed for compilation (e.g., "SALES") at compile time. Put them in a library, and have them in your library list at compile time.

--
JHHL