On 28-Mar-2012 15:36 , Stone, Joel wrote:
I need a flat file with a large record length to send to Excel, so I
CRTPF FILENAME rcdlen(3000)

CRTPF FILENAME RCDLEN(specified) creates a /flat file/ which requires the program to describe the file; i.e. a program described file. Unless the utility being used can be told how to describe the file [because an external description is not available to the utility-as-the program], a utility may honor the definition of the undescribed file as CCSID(*HEX) [aka CCSID(65535)] meaning "do not translate" the data.

One option is to use CRTSRCPF FILENAME RCDLEN(3012) instead, to create an externally described text [aka source] file, optionally specifying a CCSID() other than the default of CCSID(*JOB).

Another option is to use
CREATE TABLE FILENAME (
aField CHAR(3000) /* CCSID specified-or-dft-job-CCSID */ not null )

Regards, Chuck