Actually that post said don't try .*

As it would try to delete the . and .. folders...

Charles

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Kurt Anderson
<kurt.anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the RMVDIR help there is the line:
If the file system that contains the directory does not support removal of links in the directory and the directory contains object links, error message CPFA0AC "Directory contains objects. Directory is &1." will be sent.

I guess ours doesn't support it.

Thanks for the link, Charles.  Essentially that post is saying to remove .* as well.  Since the system does protect against removing . and .. directories, I think .* is an okay method of removing the files in question.

-Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:33 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: RMVLNK - extension-only files

Surprised RMVDIR doesn't work...

RMVLNK not working is apparently not unusual http://serverfault.com/questions/256748/remove-all-files-not-working-with

Could you use QSH? The thread above suggests ls -A | xargs rm -rf

Charles

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Kurt Anderson <kurt.anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have an update process that needs to remove a folder on the IFS.  It first performs a RMVLNK  on a folder's contents by using the wildcard *.   This, however, is not removing a file that exists named .OLD (which we think is something created by a software vendor of ours).  Within the help of RMVHLP it says "An asterisk (*) matches any number of characters and a question mark (?)matches a single character."

I tried using *.* but that didn't pick up the .OLD file either.  What does work is .* however that also tries (but fails) to delete the folders . and ..

After removing the contents of the folder, we're doing RMVDIR.   I did try RMVDIR with RMVLNK(*YES) instead, but that didn't work to empty out the folder.

Would it be safe enough for me to add in a RMVLNK command using .* ?

Thanks,
Kurt Anderson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
CustomCall Data Systems