P13S07 VARY ON PENDING

WRKCFGSTS CFGTYPE(*DEV) CFGD(*VRTDSP)
kill until I am down to:
Description Status -------------Job
QPADEV0001 ACTIVE QPADEV0001 ROB

Change QAUTOVRT to
Number of devices to
autoconfigure . . . . . . : 0

Try to start System i Access 5250 session directly to that machine.
Basically it tells me that it's not allowed.

Try telnet from another lpar. CPF8940 - Cannot automatically select
virtual device.

Try telnet from DOS prompt. Tries, but comes back to prompt with no error
message.

DSPMSG QSYSOPR has a few
CPF87D7-Cannot automatically select virtual device.

Working As Designed: However, on obsolete unsupported systems I remember
this always wasn't the case and I had to rename the command CRTDEVDSP to
finally get it to work. This lpar is on 7.1.

Change QAUTOVRT to
Number of devices to
autoconfigure . . . . . . : 200

Now I can connect via all three methods.

Some things changed with V5R2 and beyond. For example:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas193e40de301a1e0a086256fb8006a93ee

See also "Telnet security"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzaiw/rzaiwusracc.htm