Hi Mike

Nice sample code - but it is C/C++. Vinay is working in RPG already - for HIM there is no reason to go through the extra work required when using these function - _Ropen, _Rformat, _Rclose, at least, right? (If those are not needed, well, it's been a long time since I used these functions.)

The _R* functions give you RLA in C/C++ - and there are even some operations supported there that are not in the RPG panoply.

Using these functions IN RPG source would not look so simple as your example - DOW/ENDDO is going to have more code to it - and Vinay might just as well use READE and recordCount += 1;

RLA in C/C++ does have its place - obviously, if you don't know RPG and are a C/C++ shop. One other place is when you need to work with the buffers. Another is working in some generic sense with null-capability, where RPG has some restrictions.

But in general, in my experience, support for RLA in C/C++ is an accommodation, not really amenable. JMHO!

Bottom line - use RPG (or SQL here) for what it is really good at - and the same with C/C++ - shoehorning one into the other is an exercise in frustration.

Vern