From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:49 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Creating an SQL UDF on a procedure

Another thing to consider is are you sure you want to code execution of the subprocedure to be dependent on the internals of the subprocedure (or function)? Let me explain, let's pretend your subprocedure is written in RPGLE. And you are doing your I/O with chain's instead of sql. So your goal is to avoid the overhead of opening/closing the file on each execution of the function. Admirable. However, if the subprocedure is fundamentally changed do you want to have to change all the programs that call that function? Again, for example, you rewrite it by using sql instead of chains. Or you rewrite it by consuming a webservice that
provides the result or ... Now, all previous executions were jumping
through hoops to ensure that files were closed upon completion by calling it with a special parm or whatever. How do you handle that?

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738