All he had to do was replace the failed unit and allow the RAID set to rebuild. Assuming you've done it before, 30 minutes to replace the drive, walk away. A couple of hours later the RAID set will be rebuilt. Clearly this individual did not understand the process to swap a failed drive.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects