hi Kurt,

Right. When IBM released the IBM System i5, they said that the name "System i" would be a general name to the entire product family of (at the time) AS/400, iSeries and System i5. So System i5 was the specific generation of hardware, and System i was a general name that applied to the whole family. They even went so far as to say that "System i" was the last name we'd ever need to learn. (LOL!)

As to hardware models ran which operating system.. that's a much more complicated question. There are people still running iSeries hardware today who are running the IBM i operating system on it. But, originally (and for almost all of it's life) iSeries shipped with OS/400 installed.

There was also model called the "IBM eServer iSeries i5" that contained the moniker "i5" before the "IBM System i5" was released. This was released about the same time as i5/OS, but there was only a very short time between the release of the iSeries i5 and the name change to System i5... looking back at it, it seems a little convoluted.

So there isn't really a one-to-one relationship between OS names and hardware names (despite Trevor's chart.)

But all of this is getting a little far afield. The site in question could simply say "IBM i, i5/OS and OS/400" and it'd cover all bases.