IBM helped resolve this issue. Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
I will post this here to help anyone now or in the future with the same
issue of executing SFTP local commands. I was receiving a syntax error
when executing a local command !system "<cmd>" within an SFTP script but
not from QSH command entry. The script file must be CCSID 819 and carriage
return set to *LF X'0A', not *CRLF X'0D0A'. My script file was CCSID 1252
and *CRLF. Creating a different script with CCSID 819 and using *LF X'0A'
worked. I used the EDTF to add the data with *LF to test.. The script
also correctly executed remote commands correctly. Apparently, local
commands have to be interpreted at CCSID 819 and carriage return *LF. I
will change the program generating the script to create the file with CCSID
819 and carriage return *LF.

** Craig wrote:
I should clarify the most important issue here.
I searched the internet carefully and still haven't found anything. I'm
looking for a general direction on why using the local system (!system
"<cmd>") from SFTP within QSH command entry would work but not from an SFTP
batch script run interactively. I must not have something set right that
others have set.
I tried the -i option and -bOE. I thought the -i option would ensure the
job wouldn't be spawned just in case but it didn't make a difference. I
looked at the IBM examples and they work from the command entry but not
from an interactive CL (or probably batch). I tried setting environment
variables that the IBM site said were set automatically from command entry.
There are no errors set in the error log or output. I tried various
commands and they state to complete fine but they aren't even touched. I'm
not doing any expect scripts or anything complex. Just login, !system
"<cmd>", quit. I could try to focus on settings again but I don't really
know what to focus on. Could there be something not set in SFTP
configuration? Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks.
Craig Strong