Hi Dave

Anywhere you can use OPNQRYF, you can easily use SQL. I once (15 years ago) wrote an internal document that mapped the parameters of OPNQRYF to the clauses of a SELECT statement - it's pretty obvious - QRYSLT is a WHERE clause, KEYFLD is ORDER BY, GRPSLT is GROUP BY, MAPFLD maybe an expression with an ALIAS, etc.

It seems that to use embedded SQL, you'd have to pass the product code in question to the RPG program, for use in the WHERE clause of the SELECT statement. That is probably not that big a deal.

You could also create a general-purpose SQL statement processor to use in CL that'd create an OUTFILE with the selected records. That processor would use QM queries - query management queries (QMQRY object type). You can find an example at

http://www.mcpressonline.com/programming/cl/the-excsqlstm-utility.html

- the code is there. There is a flaw in this one, in Figure 2. The problem is that if your SQL statement is over 550 characters, a blank will be inserted at position 551, or 1 past any multiple of 550. There's an easy-enough fix - leave no white space at the end of each line in that figure. Instead, fill them like this - record length is 91, so the data field is 79 long.

&S01&S02&S03&S04&S05&S06&S07&S08&S09&S10&S11&S12&S13&S14&S15&S16&S17&S18&S19&S2
0&S21&S22&S23&S24&S25&S26&S27&S28&S29&S30&S31&S32&S33&S34&S35&S36&S37&S38&S39&S
40&S41&S42&S43&S44&S45&S46&S47&S48&S49&S50

Yes, not as pretty, but this one works - the other one doesn't under certain conditions.

BTW, I'm doing a COMMON session on this technique this year - check the schedule at www.common.org

Oh yeah, why stop using OPNQRYF? Things like the JOINFLD parameter allow only an INNER JOIN - that's one example of how OPNQRYF doesn't have the flexibility of SQL - just like Query for i has limitations. They are both excellent methods with limits as chosen by the product designers and developers at IBM.

HTH
Vern