Careful! While Jim is technically correct I'm not sure you will get the results you desire.

Review: You want to prevent IBM i from using certain port numbers when it connects. That is the SOURCE port number is what you want to block correct? (If you want to block TARGET port numbers then stop reading, Jim's solutions are correct.)

If you implement either the packet filters or an external firewall you WILL stop those ports, that said though you'll encounter no end of problems. If IBM i initiates a Telnet connection for example it will target port 23 but the source port is selected from available ports, lets say it chooses 48052. If that port is open, then the connection is good to go. But if you've created a rule that blocks ports 48000-49000 for example then IBM i will try to connect but won't succeed. It won't know why and your connection is toast. It doesn't say: "Hmmm, let's try port 49052" instead it just fails.

What you really want is to tell IBM i itself to not USE ports 48000-49000. I do seem to recall seeing that is possible but I can't recall and don't have time to research that. I did want you to understand the pitfalls of the proposed solution.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis