Hi,

> Dave Willenborg
> Is 5722-QU1 a free product or is there a charge for it?

Jack Kingsley
I believe you must pay IBM to have this product licensed on your machine.

Here was a discussion of 5722-QU1 and 5722-QU2 from about 4 years back.

5722-QU1 (Query/400) is being withdrawn 4th January 2008 - IBM AS400
http://fixunix.com/ibm-as400/242987-5722-qu1-query-400-being-withdrawn-4th-january-2008-a.html
Customer with QU1 and sw-subcription will be eligible to get QU2 for free ... QU1 as a orderable product will go away. However, when you order 5733-QU2 ( the GUI ) you
will get 5722-QU1 as well. You just won't be able to order it by itself... So, in effect, it's a price increase. ... there is no requirement to delete 5722QU1 before restoring
the licensed program 5733QU2.

Then in 2010

5722-QU1 Question
... It used to be included with many package deals. However, with IBM stressing DB2 Web Query over any 5250 based product I find it hard to
believe that they would still be packaging QU1. ... You still get 5722-QU1 when you license 5733-QU2.

So it seems like there is no free product if you are new, but that you might be grandfathered in, maybe on an older OS, or get it as part QU2.

How Will IBM DB2 Web Query for System i Benefit Your Shop?
http://www.mcpressonline.com/database/db2/how-will-ibm-db2-web-query-for-system-i-benefit-your-shop.html
When you order product id 5733QU2 base option, the following components are included:
* Three data adapters to interface with the database
* Three Web-based report authoring tools
* DB2 Web Query Reporting Server and meta data storage
* IBM's Integrated Web Application Server ....
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Summary..
Query/400 was a very popular product and had a great run. Indeed, many thousands of licenses have been sold since 1988, and customers continue to use it today. But as useful as it was, its time as a primary query and reporting tool has passed. A changing of the guard has occurred, and with it comes a wealth of new features to deliver the information that your users need, in the format that they want, and with additional features that allow them to utilize true Business Intelligence capabilities. All this from a product that is designed to leverage all the good things about i5/OS: security, backup and recovery, and use of the integrated database...and all from a single i5/OS server. This means easier installation, maintenance, problem determination, licensing, and queries that are optimized for DB2 for i5/OS

So, what if you are using no tool so far ?
And would like one, preferably one that is visual and easy for an executive or two.

What are the alternatives ?.

5733-QU2 and WebSphere ? (I'll have to check if we own this now, we are on 7.1, if not, then the licensing fee).

Programs like DbVisualizer, Aquafold ? (They were not originally designed for the iSeries and DbVisualizer, at least does not have official support.)

More long-term iSeries utilities ? Which tend to be more pricey.

What are good Query tools in the under-$2500-or-so arena ?
(We are running a P05, note that we also have the data in QS36F, although it could be moved to the native database.)

Steven Spencer
Queens, NY