On 30-Dec-2011 11:22 , CRPence wrote:
<<SNIP>>
FWiW I seem to recall that a recent release had added a "retrieve device
file" API.

I meant to say "printer device file". And I looked it up:

_i Retrieve Printer File Attributes (QDFRPRTA) API i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/qdfrprta.htm
"
Use the Retrieve Printer File Attributes (QDFRPRTA) API to get specific information about the attributes used to create a printer file.
Format PRTF0100
_Offset Type Field_
_Dec Hex_
38 26 Char(10) Printer device type
Printer device type. The type of data stream that is used for a printer device file. The possible values are:
≥ *SCS An SNA character stream (SCS) is used. This value is valid only when using the 3287, 3812 SCS, 3816 SCS, 4214, 4234 SCS, 4245, 5219, 5224, 5225, 5256, 5262, 6252, or 6262 work station printers. If *SCS is used and the spooled printer file is directed to an IPDS printer, the SCS printer file is converted to emulate an IPDS printer file.
≥ *IPDS An intelligent printer data stream (IPDS) is used. This value is valid when using an IPDS printer. If *IPDS is used and the spooled printer file is directed to a printer other than an IPDS printer, the IPDS printer file is converted to an SCS printer file.
≥ *USERASCII An ASCII data stream is placed on a spooled output queue. User is responsible for placing the entire hexadecimal data stream in the buffer, since the operating system does not change or validate the values that are passed.
≥ *AFPDS An Advanced Function Printing™ data stream (AFPDS) is used. Some systems refer to this data stream as MODCA-P.
≥ *AFPDSLINE Mixed data (line data and AFPDS data) is used. This value is valid when using any printer supported by PSF.
≥ *LINE Line data is used. This value is valid when using any printer supported by PSF.

API introduced: V6R1

Regards, Chuck