Thank you, a trigger will do. The file has an auto-increment, and a "change timestamp" that are not supported in DDS.

CRPence wrote:

On 28-Dec-2011 05:49 , Raul A. Jager W. wrote:

I have a table (created with SQL) and it has ALWDLT *yes. Is it
possible to change it to ALWDLT *no? Or set the ALWDLT to no in
the "create table"?

No need really, since a BEFORE DELETE trigger that always prohibits the action could be applied. Just naming a program that accepts no parameters would suffice to prevent row delete activity; e.g. ADDPFTRG TRGTIME(*before) TRGEVENT(*delete) PGM(QCMD). Of course the trigger will also prevent CLRPFM [clear], whereas the ALWDLT(*NO) will not.

Or, just use DDS with CRTPF SRCFILE(named) to create a non-SQL externally described database physical file. Does using CREATE TABLE really matter [so much] to the application or scenario as to *require* the SQL? A stored procedure could implement the effect of a desired CREATE TABLE using DDS and CRTPF ALWDLT(*NO) if using SQL is mandatory.

I found a lot of comments about the opposite change, that is not
possible because it will defeat the purpose of the not delete
capable, but I could not find anything about making the file not
delete capable.

Something other than DLTF and CRTPF [w/ optional restore of saved members]? If so, any links? I would expect other means to "undo" would simply be reversed; i.e. presumably STRSST D\A\D [service tools Display\Alter\Dump] or methods of defeating system domain is required.?

Regards, Chuck