From: midrange-l-bounces+dkimmel=rjssoftware.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces+dkimmel=rjssoftware.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:57 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: *** ADMIN: Al Barsa Challenge ... 1 day left

I see the value, Pete. I wasn't trying to diminish the effort, which is why I haven't offered an opinion until this last day. But since you're asking, it's not the venue in and of itself. I can't think of a more appropriate conference to honor Al's memory, given how involved he was with COMMON. I just have a slight disconnect with a scholarship that actually ends up paying the institution. If the focus is truly just to get more attendees, then what would really draw me in would be if the scholarship money went towards transportation and lodging, and COMMON waived the conference fee. That would be a wonderful joint effort and would allows the money raised in Al's name to benefit even more recipients.

And maybe that's how it works already, I don't know for sure. I couldn't really find how the money is spent, and that's why I put the question out there. If that was the case, I for one would be more inclined to participate.

Joe

Just my own 2 cents....

If you see no value to the community in members being educated in the
latest Power and IBM i technologies then it probably wouldn't have
value to you. But education and person to person contact in a
community is a thing that is increasingly lacking in this world,
particularly in IT where we go to the Internet feeding trough daily to get our education.
Sending someone to a conference not only educates them but teaches
them the value of person to person community building.

Would your mind change if it was sending them to the RPG& DB2 Summit
or RPG World or an IBM conference?

It's not that Common is the only alternative but the *value* is in the
face to face meeting that someone might not have the financial
wherewithal to handle (especially in these economic times). And,
despite the rumors, there isn't any Common brainwashing or drinking
the Koolaid that goes on with the recipient ;-)

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java