See in line.......

On 11/22/2011 8:48 AM, Darryl Freinkel wrote:
Further to Dr Franken's response:

The bad disk was in the 3rd slot from the left (P2-D3).
OK Good
The second disk was in the 8th slot on the extreme right. This disk did not
join the RAID set for some reason.
Either it was not there when RAID was started or perhaps it was bad. Only things I can think of.
The disks were removed (when powered down) from DST after IPL'ing in Manual
mode. I never got the option to remove the disks from the configuration or
it would not work. As the machine is a model 520 it has only 1 RAID set.
When you removed is this via Service Tools, Start a Service Tool, Device Concurrent Maintenance?
I will point out that the first IPL after removing the disks worked. I could
see all the remaining disks. Parity was not enabled though. The system did
not show any missing or failed disks.
Sounds like Parity wasn't enabled at all?? Otherwise you couldn't have removed disks without
errors. Also it sounds as if they may not have been added to the ASP. Had they been and then
were not present, an IPL would not be possible.
I then powered down again to restart the system and use DST in manual mode
to put the disk from slot 8 into slot 3.
One question is why do you care which slot it is in? The system tracks all drives by serial number
and the only real reason to care about any drive is the Load Source.
How do you get 2 RAID sets with 1 RAID controller?
As to the 1 RAID set, a 520 can have two RAID sets in the System Unit two ways. The obvious is
by having two RAID cards in the system. This requires a different backplane for the disks on the left.
The other way is to start RAID when only four drives are in place then add four more and start RAID
on those. Thus two RAID sets. (And two drives lost to Parity)
As the 8th drive was not showing in the RAID set, I could not remove it from
the RAID set.
This makes the most sense of all. :-) Hard to remove what isn't there!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

Thanks.

Darryl Freinkel

Assignment 400 Group, Inc.

Tel: 770.321.8562 ext 111 | Fax 770.321.8562 | 2247 La Salle Dr, Marietta
GA, 30062, USA | PO Box 72556, Marietta, GA 30007-2556