From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: FTP Format

As Jim said, there can be many different ways to generate a so-called CSV format - many which do not even include a comma, the "C" of CSV.

But I think, John, that you should look again at CPYFRMIMPF - yes, there have been problems; yes, it doesn't handle everything, but what does when it's a general-purpose command? The several parameters on the command that do not appear at first give you a lot of control. You get to set the various delimiters.

I think throwing it out of your armory completely leaves you without a tool that is useful 90% of the time, and you know ways to handle the others. Besides, you always need to negotiate with the providers of delimited files, to see what they've done with the options.

So we make our choices of what to use - you may have a lock-down method that has no problems with delimited files - I hope so - and if you do, maybe you'll share it on the midrange code archive?

Of course, I don't completely trust Microsoft - with Excel, especially, they try to "help" me far too much.

Regards
Vern