If you're not using a mail router and delivering mail directly from
your AS/400 my MAILTOOL (and MAILTOOL Plus) software will do this.. it
will send an error if the recipients mail server doesn't accept the
email.

Then again, you have the issue if they don't have it configured
properly to send the right error codes during the SMTP conversation.

And again, most do use a mail router (like exchance, yahoo, gmail,
etc) so once it's passed onto that any errors would have to be trigger
by the router itself.

Brad
www.bvstools.com