All,

     I'm looking for a sanity check........

     We have an application that runs both on the i (using RPG) and from a windows server (using Java).  The DB resides on the i.  All DB updates from the server side are done via stored procedures that update that database using SQL.

     Recently, I have noticed a terrible response time (from green screen as well as through the Java application) and think that I see the problem.....The prestart job that processes the SQL transactions is running in the base pool (which is where everything else runs as well) and at times there is an indexing issue.  I know that the indexing issue must be addressed, but in the mean time I'm thinking that I could segregate the prestart job(s) to alleviate the the poor response times that are being caused by these troubled prestart jobs.

     Would it not make better sense to define the subsystem (and therefor memory pool) that the prestart job runs in to be different than where all the other jobs (both batch and interactive) run?  At times these prestart jobs are consuming upward of 70% of the resources.

     Any advice/places to look for additional info would be much appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Richard Reeve

P.S.  Unfortunately, we are still on 5.4  :o(