Ah, that's the golden tip that we needed.
A very slow system when no other thing has changed could very much be
a mem stick failure.
My first hardware job was adding some 3096 sticks to a 810... said
sticks were not tested before going to the client, and the one who was
teaching me disregarded the internal lic error that got logged on IPL
AND neglected to see if all the sticks were "operational"
Result?
A production system that was already slow (due in part to the
aforementioned lack of memory) was reduced to a crawl thanks to the
upgrade that was meant to speed things up...
Main system on a healthcare provider, we're lucky they ever bought
from us again.
The machine is losing most of the processor time doing ECC corrections
to the memory sticks, slowing down everything.
Replace or remove soon. Sometimes it's better to lose 4Gb of ram than
to limp around with the ECC corrections.

Best Regards,

Roberto