James,

An AS/400 is a server. OS/400 was the OS that has been virtualized, and
morphed into IBM i. If hardware changes are irrelevant, then why are you
calling our platform by the name of an old piece of hardware that is no
longer relevant? That makes no sense. Someone did come up with the
software to implement "the operating system formerly known as OS/400" - it
was IBM, and they named it IBM i, and it runs on completely new of
hardware called Power Systems.

Besides, what you knew as OS/400 and i5/OS has been somewhat modified in
current releases. Some of the functionality that provided hardware
independence is no longer in the OS, but in the virtualization software
that runs the OS.

Trevor

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:46 PM, James Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>