Joe

I've written a handler for DISK device - if a developer who uses our product were to use the handler, as well, he/she will know they are using OA. That would probably apply to someone who writes their own handler, too.

Now for the GUI handlers from ASNA, lookSoftware, and Profound Logic, they have ways to take an existing program/display file and convert it. I don't know the details in any of these cases. But there will be an RPG program with source code that will now have the handler keyword - developers will know.

That is different from knowing this at run-time. I guess I'm not sure why I would want to know, so I will need someone like Tom to tell me that. I'm happy to learn, especially as I'm very interested in this technology and think it has much possible benefit for the community - once IBM fully gets its ducks in a row as to licensing and all - fortunately there now is a 70-day try/buy which will let some company give it a go without having to purchase it first.

As to having slightly different programming - again, the point is NOT to have to have different programming. I ask you to actually write a handler, to see just what is really involved. Reading the docs isn't enough - seriously - especially with a WORKSTN handler - I know I don't want to play in that world - you might do better, since you worked with this kind of thing already with your own stuff.

Also, the developer of a handler should provide what the limitations are. My handler does not do SETGT, mostly because our product is a forward-only SQL kind of thing. This won't stop anyone from doing the same thing that SETGT/READPE do now - there are workarounds. Again, I am not sure you have done enough with OA to know how it is architected. It really does take a while - at least, it has for my feeble brain to dig past what is in the documentation - or NOT to go beyond it, since it is not necessary or desirable.

Some work is going on to allow for modifications and extensions of the behavior of the 5250 data stream, in an open source manner - and this would be used by a handler - one vendor does something like this in a proprietary way, adding HTML to existing resources. This is transparent to the developer, now - again, this is GUI stuff - it's different from the DB stuff I've written.

Ah, but it gets late - will be hearing a presentation from an IBMer on the subject tomorrow - should be interesting!

Regards
Vern